Carver: Huge Turnout at Annual Night Out

AD52F746-04CA-4555-AFA2-5E0D29A23CDA.jpeg

Click on the logo to view and listen to the interview on the WATD website

By David Cedrone

August 10, 2018

There was a huge turnout at Carver’s annual night out yesterday as Police, EMS and fire departments from Plympton, Halifax and Kingston joined the town for their annual night out.

The event was held at the middle high school where hundreds watched a black hawk helicopter, brought by the Army National Guard, land behind the school.

9-year-old Jacob was at the event with friends and family and says the event is fun because you get to do stuff!

Plymouth County Sheriff Joe McDonald was there and says the evening is all about the kids.

Carvers night out was started four years ago to help build relationships between residents and law enforcement and to make the community a safer place.

Plymouth County Sheriff Joe McDonald, Plymouth County DA Tim Cruz and Carver Police Chief Mark Duphily

Carver: State Police Intercept Package Containing Ketamine

92404EAD-576B-4077-9B2D-87E3A38AB3EA.jpeg

Click on the logo to view the article on the WATD website

by Mariel Reed

August 10, 2018

A man is arrested after a package containing Ketamine was intercepted by state police at a place of business in Carver.

39-year-old James W. Carey of Swansea was arrested at 5:30pm on Wednesday after an investigation led police to him.

The investigation alleges that on August 2nd two packages, one sent to his home in Swansea, and the other sent to his work, a group home for adults in Carver was sent internationally from Cameroon and seized by detectives.

The bottles in the packages were labeled “natural ginseng” but field testing revealed they were filled with 6.6 kilograms of liquid Ketamine.

State police obtained warrants for both his home and workplace and seized three cellphones and 3.3 kilograms of Ketamine.

Carey was arraigned in Wareham District Court Thursday on one count of possession with intent to distribute and is being held on $15,000 cash bail.

Carey is ordered to wear a GPS monitoring bracelet if he should post bail and is due back in court on September 7th.


Duxbury man with criminal record indicted for child porn

B277AB8A-B706-4AA4-8495-90E9F3084E91.png

Click on the logo to view the article on the Patriot Ledger website

By Erin Tiernan

August 7, 2018

 

Christopher Barlow has previously faced charges of impersonating a Homeland Security officer and amassing weapons and explosives in his Duxbury home. Earlier this year police in Connecticut charged him with secretly recording ambulance patients while volunteering as an EMT while at college.

PLYMOUTH — A Duxbury man who earlier this year was charged with taking inappropriate pictures of patients while he was volunteering on an ambulance in Connecticut is now accused of secretly recording and photographing underage girls in Massachusetts.

A Plymouth County grand jury indicted Christopher Barlow, 21, of Duxbury on 58 charges including extortion, possession of child pornography, posing or exhibiting a child in a state of nudity, secretly recording or photographing a nude person and disseminating visual material of a child in a state of nudity or sexual conduct.

Prosecutors say Barlow secretly recorded and took photos of four underage girls in various states of undress between December 2014 and June 2017 and shared the digital files hundreds of times.

Barlow also tried to extort two of the victims, telling them he had uploaded their images to a porn website and would continue to share their images online unless they sent him more images of themselves, according to a statement from District Attorney Timothy Cruz’s office.

It’s unclear where the images and videos were recorded or where the victims are from.

Barlow has a lengthy history with the courts. Last October, he was indicted on charges of impersonating a Homeland Security officer and illegal-weapons charges after police say he presented a fake badge to Duxbury police.

Police obtained a search warrant for his home, where they seized two long guns, a handgun, parts to build additional guns, large-capacity magazines, boxes of ammunition, chemicals that could be used to make explosives and several stolen pieces of equipment, including handheld radios, a defibrillator and medical bags full of supplies.

It was during this search in June 2017 that police seized the electronics on which the images of the underage girls and Barlow’s alleged communications with them were discovered.

Duxbury police first began investigating Barlow in 2016 after they were contacted by police in Easton, Connecticut, about chemicals, ammunition and a gun case found in a storage locker at a fire station where Barlow had been volunteering while attending college. The FBI became involved in the investigations with Connecticut and Massachusetts police following Barlow’s claims that he was a Homeland Security officer.

In March, Barlow was arrested on new charges – including voyeurism and stealing a firearm – after Connecticut police said they found evidence he was taking inappropriate images of patients in ambulances and that he had placed a hidden camera in the bathroom of the fire department’s headquarters and stole two guns from a co-worker there.

Barlow’s attorney, Michael Bergeron, has said that the old charges come from a period in 2017 when Barlow was experiencing auditory and visual hallucinations, which a judge’s notes filed in Plymouth Superior Court indicate may have been the result of an anesthesia overdose in 2016.

Calls to Bergeron’s Duxbury office were not returned Tuesday afternoon.

After his arrest last year in Massachusetts, Barlow spent several weeks at Bridgewater State Hospital under court order. After receiving treatment and medication there, Barlow was found competent by Plymouth County Judge Brian Davis in February and was released on $2,500 bail.

He has been living at a relative’s home in Kingston under GPS monitoring.

Reach Erin Tiernan at etiernan@patriotledger.com or 617-786-7320. Follow her on Twitter @ErinTiernan.


Brockton: Two Indictied in Connection with May 12 Shooting

BF7ED835-8947-42FD-8A10-6D30A267F618.jpeg

Click on the logo to view the article on the WATD website

By Dan McCready

August 2, 2018

Two men have been indicted in connection with a May 12 shooting in Brockton that left an Avon man dead. 

The Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office says that on Tuesday a grand jury returned indictments against 24-year-old Renardo Williams of Brockton and 29-year-old Chanel Martins of Taunton. 

Williams was indicted on charges of Murder and Assault with Intent to Murder. 

Martins was indicted on two charges of Accessory After the Fact. 

Police responded to 139 Pleasant St. after receiving a Shotspotter notification and a 911 call from a male who reported that he had been shot several times. 

Police arrived on scene to find two shooting victims in a Honda CRV. 

One of the victims, 26-year-old Bethgy Cator, was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital where he was later pronounced dead. 

The other shooting victim was also taken to Good Samaritan Hospital before being transported to Boston Medical Center where he was treated and released. 

The DA’s office says an investigation determined that Williams opened fire on the vehicle before fleeing in a car driven by Martins. 

The two suspects will be arraigned in Superior Court at a later date. 


2 indicted on charges in Brockton shooting that killed 1, wounded 1

2E087E74-4D40-407B-850C-BD705662445F.png

Click on the logo to view the article on the 7 News Boston website

 


Marshfield contractor pleads guilty to stealing nearly $40,000 from client, vendors

7C04B87F-27FA-45CD-9E9E-34B2CC5DBD30.png

Click on the logo to view this article on the Patriot Ledger website

By Patriot Ledger Staff

July 30, 2018

PLYMOUTH — A Marshfield general contractor was sentenced to 18 months of probation and ordered to repay nearly $40,000 after he pleaded guilty to charges that he stole from a client and didn’t pay two of his vendors, Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy Cruz announced Monday.

Donald S. McNeil, 48 of Marshfield pleaded guilty to three counts of larceny over $250 and two counts of larceny by check over $250 on Friday in Plymouth District Court.

Prosecutors say McNeil, who owns the Marshfield-based construction company M&M Contstruction Inc., took $31,050 in payments intended for materials to begin a $75,000 addition on a Bridgewater home, but never the homeowner never received any materials and no work was ever completed on the project. The homeowner contacted Bridgewater police in September 2017.

The other two victims were vendors hired by McNeil. He owed a surveyor $1,000 and a building material supplier $7,500. McNeil cut checks to both men that were returned for insufficient funds. The men both contacted police after unsuccessfully trying to contact McNeil for payment.

After pleading guilty last week, Judge Michael Vitali sentenced McNeil to 18 months of probation and ordered a restitution hearing to determine the amount he owes each victim — estimated to be $39,550. McNeil was also ordered to stay away from and have no contact with the victims, surrender his general contractors license and not work as a contractor during his probation period.


Hanson: DARE Camp Holds Water Day

WATD logo

Click on the Logo above to view on WATD's Website

By Dan McCready-posted on July 29, 2018
Posted in Local News

Credit: Dan McCready

Credit: Dan McCready

Whitman-Hanson Regional High School hosted Water Day on Thursday as part of the Plymouth Co. DARE Camp.

 

 

 


Plymouth County DA Timothy Cruz D.A.R.E. camp at Whitman-Hanson

Enterprise Logo

Click on the logo to view the photos on the Enterprise website


Hanson: Scenes from Plymouth County DARE Camp

WATD Logo

Click on the above logo to read the article on the WATD website

 

The Plymouth County DARE camp is taking place at Whitman-Hanson High School this week, with education taking place in a fun setting.

The DARE (Drug & Alcohol Resistance Education) camp is a free summer program for kids in Plymouth County. It’s the 16th year that District Attorney Tim Cruz and his office have hosted the camp.

Barbara Faherty, the Executive Director of Community Programs at the DA’s Office, says the lessons range in all types.

“All the officers are here in T-shirts and shorts, so it kind of takes away that formality from the kids, and the kids aren’t afraid to approach the DARE Officer, the police officer,” said Faherty. “They see them in a different light, that they’re part of the community. They’re not just there upholding the law…and they’re not somebody these children should be afraid of.”

From tug of war, to dodgeball, to football games hundreds of kids are taking part in the camp.

“It’s awesome. I love being here,” said 10-year-old Samantha Baptiste of Wareham. “I just think this camp is amazing, I think everyone should come.”

“It’s great. There’s so many activities,” said Dylan Perault, an 11-year-old from Whitman. “There’s a lot of friends here, old friends that you see.”

Kids are split up into groups, but away from their towns. They’re shy early in the week, but make new friends as the camp comes to a close.

“It’s good to get to know the kids,” said Timothy Cleary, the Marshfield School Resource Officer. “They get to know us outside of the uniform, and they get to know us on a personal level.”  

On Tuesday, the kids got to check out a National Guard Blackhawk helicopter flown in from Otis Air Base on the Cape.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Daniel MacSwain and Chief Warrant Officer 2 Patricia Lopresti answered questions and let the kids tour the aircraft.

Many of the students were all smiles as they got to learn outside of a classroom.

“I wanted to learn, experience new stuff, and meet new people,” said Raeghan Blake, a 10-year-old from Wareham. “It’s awesome, I love it here, and it’s great.”  

Hanson Police Officer Bill Frazier says the is great for everyone involved.

“We want to teach the kids that police are approachable. We’re here to help you, we’re here to help you make good decisions,” said Frazier. “We want to be positive role models for these kids as well.”

Kids flocked to the helicopter after it landed at the Whitman-Hanson High School. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Kids flocked to the helicopter after it landed at the Whitman-Hanson High School. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

It was a tough pull in the semi-finals of the tug of war championship. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

It was a tough pull in the semi-finals of the tug of war championship. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

The other side from the tug of war semi-finals. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

The other side from the tug of war semi-finals. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

10-year-old Lincoln Smith of Plymouth evaded a tackle for this touchdown. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

10-year-old Lincoln Smith of Plymouth evaded a tackle for this touchdown. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

This group was off to the races on the track. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

This group was off to the races on the track. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Chief Warrant Officer 2 Patricia Lopresti answered questions about her job as a pilot. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Chief Warrant Officer 2 Patricia Lopresti answered questions about her job as a pilot. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Brady Waldron, 10, of West Bridgewater in the front seat of the Blackhawk helicopter. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Brady Waldron, 10, of West Bridgewater in the front seat of the Blackhawk helicopter. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Daniel MacSwain and Chief Warrant Officer 2 Patricia Lopresti. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Daniel MacSwain and Chief Warrant Officer 2 Patricia Lopresti. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Ethan Mcaloney, a 10-year-old from Hanson, smiles for the camera. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Ethan Mcaloney, a 10-year-old from Hanson, smiles for the camera. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Hundreds of kids from Plymouth County are attending the DARE camp. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

Hundreds of kids from Plymouth County are attending the DARE camp. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.


Police raid Max’s Blues Cafe in Brockton; 3 arrested on gun, drug charges

enterprise logo

Click on the logo to view the article on the Enterprise's website

By
Cody Shepard
posted June 29, 2018

Detectives raided Max’s Blues Cafe, at 68 Field St., and seized a stolen gun and cocaine following an investigation throughout the month of June.

BROCKTON — Detectives raided a city bar and arrested three people after seizing a stolen gun and drugs Thursday afternoon, police said.

State police detectives assigned to the Plymouth County district attorney’s office executed a search warrant at Max’s Blues Cafe, also known as Max’s Hideout, at 68 Field St., about 4:45 p.m.

The raid was conducted following an investigation “into the illegal distribution of cocaine” from the bar throughout the month of June, said Beth Stone, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Timothy Cruz.

When state police detectives, with assistance from Brockton police, executed the search warrant, they seized about 36 grams of suspected cocaine, a stolen .45-caliber Sig Sauer handgun, ammunition and cash, Stone said.

Read more

connect

get updates